When their heart says cheesesteak, but the belly's pushing for pizza...presto! Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 10 mins | Serves 6
- 1 package Original Philly® brand WOW flat steaks
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. pizza dough ball
- 1 cup marinara sauce, plus more for dipping
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high & cook steak, about 1-2 minutes per side; then using a spatula, separate into strips & pieces.
- In the same pan, add the onion, pepper & garlic, then season with a pinch of salt, black pepper, chili flakes & Italian seasoning. Cook until onions are slightly translucent, about 3 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the pizza dough to a 10x14 inch rectangle. Once the dough is rolled out, sprinkle half the cheese, leaving a two inch border on each side.
- Top with steak mixture, followed by a layer of marinara sauce, finishing with the rest of the cheese.
- Brush the border with egg wash & fold the bottom & top edges over the filling, then fold the sides over twice, one inch at a time, pinching to seal. Transfer to the baking sheet, seam side down, then brush stromboli with the remaining egg wash
- Bake until firm & golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Cut into 6 portions & serve immediately with marinara sauce.
Cheesesteak know-how from the folks at Original Philly™ brand
Cheesesteaks 101: The Basics
The core elements of the Philly Cheesesteak! Plus, we’ve got plenty of add-on ideas to give your ‘steak a tasty twist.